Header Image

Urban Blossom can assist clients with planning for the various types of buildings we design from full Building Planning to Lawful Development Certificates.  

For developers, our partners can provide detailed applications such as Design & Access statements, Variations of Conditions applications.   Many schemes and planning applications also require the preparation of Visual Impact Assessments, Demand Statements, Business Plans and Topographical Surveys. Where appropriate we can incorporate and undertake these required elements.  Our approach also includes pre-application consultation and liaison with planning officers and representatives of other statutory bodies including the Environment Agency, Highways, and Parish & Community Councils to resolve in advance any potentially difficult issues.

The Poppy requires full planning permission.  We have an Information Document for clients with detailed information for Local Planning Authorities to use which assists in the process.  Our planning associates can provide full advice and support on all aspects of Planning and Building Regulations associated with your Poppy.

The Poppy has been designed to be compliant with all UK Building Regulations and suitable drawings to support the application will be provided when you purchase the building.

Hawk and Hök

Fall under the Caravan Act parameters in terms of planning regulations.  The Caravan Act is a permitted development route for installing the Hawk and the Hök. A standard annexe would normally be a permanent fixture and require substantial foundations, however the Hawk installed under the Caravan Sites Act must be movable and requires less substantial foundations. Subsequently this means the cost is usually less and it can be installed quicker. 

The Hawk and the Hök are prefabricated offsite, and delivered as either single or 1/2 units that are joined onsite.

The law requires that the Caravan or Mobile Home unit is capable of being lifted onto a trailer as a whole completed unit and moved by mechanical means to another place. The emphasis is on the word ‘capable’ as this test is hypothetical and you don’t have to do it – just prove it is possible to lift it without damage using mechanical means.

Green Belt & Conservation Areas:  Along with areas of outstanding natural beauty (ANOB) may be a little different in getting permissions and could possibly have local rules concerning permitted development projects. Nonetheless the emplacement of a caravan, that is fully compliant with the demands of the caravan acts, does not constitute a development, structure or a building operation and as such, it should not be restricted.  In all non-standard cases we recommend that you contact your local planning office pointing out your intention and ask for their advice. You can read more about the Caravan Act specifications here

For Private Clients:

The Hawk and the Hök must be in the ‘Curtilage’ of a dwelling house. A domestic curtilage is not necessarily marked off or enclosed, but it should be clearly attached to the house or serving the purpose of the house in some useful and intimate way. 

The use must accompany the house, used by a family member or guest accommodation for example and not rented as a private residence or a separate dwelling or a business premises.

Installing a compliant building under these parameters in your garden does NOT require planning permission as it is considered not to be a building operation or development.  We rely on a deemed consent planning route called a “Lawful Development Certificate”, commonly known as an LDC.

In general, the curtilage (garden) of the main house is part of the planning permission that was granted to the main house and a caravan compliant Hawk and Hök would share that planning permission. If the Hawk or Hök is NOT compliant with the ‘rules’ it is considered to be a separate operation or development, therefore full planning permission would be required.